This past weekend was full of crafting! I wanted to do it all- spinning, knitting, weaving, gardening, you name it, it was on my bucket list, but with a limited amount of time, I decide to go with some sewing 🙂 I had this cute top (Simplicity 1426) in my pattern box, and figured I’d give it a try using some stash fabric.
I tried out tailor tacks for the first time, and they’re totally perfect for handling darts and pleats! I do wonder who patterns (made by the big pattern companies) are supposed to fit, though- the bust fit fine, but the band itself was far too short! I ended up adding on a few extra inches to close the gap. I also find the pattern instructions are usually a bit more frustrating then they need to be, for this one it was the halter straps… I ended up foregoing the instructions for sewing them up partially and attaching them. I made a few yards of double fold non-bias tape, and attached them from the back edge and around the front.
In the end it was a fun project with a wonderful result! This will be a fun top to wear to summer events, and I’m looking forward to making more of these, hopefully with a partially-elastic back in the future 🙂